Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Jen's Spicy Secret Stir Fry

I'm a big fan of stir fry for dinner as it tends to be a quick meal that can feed several people - or two people for several days.  I generally use various stir fry kits, but if I don't have one on hand, I get a little experimental.


I got experimental one evening and created my own stir fry recipe.   It's spicy. It's secret.






But I'm willing to share.

If you've never done stir fry before, I strongly suggest you go out and purchase an excellent skillet.  I like my Calphalon 10-inch and 12-inch non-stick skillets (okay, technically they're omelette pans) because the slope of the sides allows me to toss the stir fry ingredient properly and they heat very evenly.


Once you have your awesome skillet in hand, you're ready to begin:


Ingredients

  • 1 to 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips or cubes
  • 2 large heads of broccoli, cut into florets
  • 1/2 lb baby corn, washed and cut in half
  • 1 to 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • Paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/3-1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tsp chili oil
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp cornstarch
  • Lemon juice (optional)
  • 1 cup uncooked Jasmine rice
Method
  1. Cook Jasmine rice according to package directions.
  2. Heat olive oil in skillet on medium-high heat.
  3. Lay chicken pieces out in a single layer on a plate.  Sprinkle with paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
  4. Place chicken in skillet spiced side down.  Cook until almost cooked through.  Sprinkle again with spices and flip all pieces.
  5. Lower heat to medium. Add vegetables.  Cook until crisp tender, stirring occasionally.
  6. Meanwhile, mix soy sauce, chili oil, ginger and cornstarch in a measuring cup, using a wire whisk.  Add a splash of lemon juice if desired.
  7. When vegetables are almost crisp tender, pour sauce over skillet.  Add 1/4 cup of water and stir.  Let simmer 5 minutes.
  8. Serve over cooked rice.
And there you have my Spicy Secret Stir Fry - an excellent quick meal that's not so hard, and not so secret after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment