Thursday, November 24, 2011

I am Thankful For.... Chocolate Cookies

A couple weeks ago, Bakerella unveiled yet another recipe for some scrumptious cookies - Dark Chocolate Chip Comfort Cookies, to be precise.  I was hooked and simply HAD to make the attempt.

So in addition to that super easy cheesy cornbread and a chili recipe (still in the "tweaking" stage), I decided to whip up a double batch of these super delicious cookies to take to a chili cook-off a friend of ours was hosting.  I didn't have any dark chocolate chips, because I'd used my bag to make a batch of triple chocolate chip cookies for my brother-in-law's birthday, so I substituted half a bag of white chocolate chips and half a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips.


They were still positively awesome, and I followed it up a week later by making another double batch, WITH dark chocolate chips, for my staff's "pig out day" - our big pot luck lunch we do on our second day of parent/teacher conferences.

Before I continue with the awesome pictures of these cookies in process, I must give you all a word of warning.  This cookie dough is THICK.  How thick, you ask?  Well, between these cookies and the triple chocolate chip cookies I made in October, I now have no more rubber spatulas.  Because the acrylic handles snapped when I was trying to scrape the bowls and fold in the chocolate chips.

That's right.  Both my spatulas are cookie casualties.  So I suggest you skip the heartache and just use a big sturdy metal spoon instead.

Anyway, on to the awesomeness.


I started by combining all the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt) in a medium mixing bowl.

In my large mixing bowl, I beat sugar, butter and peanut butter until smooth, then added the eggs and vanilla.


Then I mixed in the flour mixture until it was all smooth and incorporated and thick enough to build a brick wall with.  Okay, maybe not.  But it was pretty darn thick.  I added my chocolate chips and then stared in awe at how awesome it looked.


It's like a cliff-side of chocolate!  Makes you wish you were the size of a chocolate chip so you could rappel down the side and take bites of the dough as you went along, doesn't it?  Maybe that's just me.  I suggested to my husband that we make this image our new desktop picture, but he looked at me kind of funny so I guess that was a no.

Anyway, I started folding in the chocolate chips.  My spatula survived the first attempt, but when I got to this point the second time I made these cookies, this is the point at which the handle snapped in two.  Regardless, it was arduous and a bit of an arm workout and I was dying from how good the dough smelled.

I scooped out the dough with my cookie scoop and rolled them into neat little balls.  Then, because I had about a quarter cup of butterscotch chips that I had no idea what else to do with, I topped each cookie with four butterscotch chips until I ran out, and then left the rest plain.


I think my cookies might have been slightly smaller than Bakerella's, due to the size of the cookie scoop used, but after ten minutes in the oven, they were ready for eating.  I mean, sharing!


1 comment:

  1. I want some of these!! I bet you could use peanut butter chips as well for a different, but tasty alternative.

    ReplyDelete