Saturday, May 19, 2012

Apple Cinnamon Yogurt Pancakes

It boggles my mind to know there are people out there who don't like pancakes. It's true!  I recently made pancakes - the Bisquik in a bottle kind - with my second graders as part of a lesson about changes in matter (we called it "matter batter").  One of my students actually didn't like them!

I generally don't use pancake mixes if I can help it.  Homemade pancake batter is very easy and, in my humble opinion, is way better than any mixes you can buy.

If you're a fan of pancakes, here is a homemade batter recipe that no only tastes good but is low in fat and really good for you.  It came out of the Turbo Fire recipe book, and is great for a weekend breakfast or a mid-week dinner.  (I eat breakfast for dinner all the time.  Don't you?)  They have a light, sweet flavor because of the honey in the pancake batter.


The original instructions say to make the batter in a blender, but I just mix it in a bowl with a wire whisk.  Because that's just how I roll.

If you don't want to use chunks of apples, you could also thinly slice them.  Interested in winning an OXO Good Grips Hand-Held Mandoline Slicer to do the job?  Check out this post for directions to enter the giveaway - the deadline to enter is Monday, May 21st at midnight EST.

Turbo Fire Apple Cinnamon Yogurt Pancakes
Ingredients

  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 and 1/2 tablespoons honey
  • 3 cups apples, peeled and sliced (I used Granny Smith but you can use whatever you like)
Method
  1. In a large bowl (or blender), combine the egg, yogurt, oil, and 1 tablespoon of honey.  Blend with wire whisk until smooth.
  2. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon into the bowl and blend with the yogurt mixture.
  3. Heat a griddle to medium heat, and either spray with butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray or lightly grease with vegetable oil or a small amount of butter. I use a bit of real butter because I've decided I don't like the taste of nonstick sprays.  If your griddle is nonstick anyway, you shouldn't use the sprays and the butter just adds flavor.
  4. Ladle batter onto the griddle to make 8 small pancakes.  Cook for about 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
  5. While warm, top with sliced apples and drizzle with remaining 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment