Thursday, August 30, 2012

Buttermilk Vanilla Mini Cupcakes with Ice Cream (Cupcake of the Month Series #8)

*gasp* Two posts in one week!  Yes, I'm trying to catch up a bit, mostly to ensure that I share this month's featured cupcake.

It's a miniature buttermilk vanilla cupcake, topped with a tiny scoop of ice cream!


Now, the recipe card actually called for gelato, but that's not something easily found in my neck of the woods.  However, also didn't want to just throw any old store-bought ice cream on these baby delights, so I topped them with homemade peach ice cream instead.


Want to see how to make them?



First, sift together one and a half cups plus two tablespoons of flour, one and a quarter cups of sugar, three-quarters of a teaspoon of baking soda, half  a teaspoon of baking powder, and three-quarters of a teaspoon of salt.  Add one egg and one large egg yolk, half a cup plus two tablespoons each of warm water and buttermilk, one quarter cup plus one tablespoon of vegetable oil (I used canola), and a teaspoon of vanilla extract.  Beat on low speed until everything is combined and smooth.









Line your mini muffin tins with paper liners and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Divide the batter among the liners as evenly as possible. You'll get about four dozen.


I was kind of surprised by how liquid-y the batter was, even more so than batter from a boxed cake mix (I've noticed that "from scratch" cake batter made with butter tends to be a lot thicker).  I made a total mess of my trays.

Bake the cupcakes for 30 minutes, until they are golden brown and a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean from the center.  If you aren't lucky enough to have two ovens, like me, rotate the position of the tins halfway through baking.  Or just do a batch at a time - it won't hurt anything, it'll just take longer.

Sadly, I did not get a picture of all my little cupcakes cooling in a happy little hodgepodge.  But they were adorable, easy, and delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment