Saturday, July 28, 2012

Cherry Chip Ice Cream

We all like ice cream, right? I mean, I like ice cream.  I don't eat it often because, well, it's not the best choice when you're trying to watch your diet.  But homemade ice cream far outstrips every store-bought ice cream brand out there.  At least, it does in my experience.  

A little over three years ago, I received the ice cream maker attachment for my KitchenAid mixer, but I never got around to using it until this week.  Like, it literally got stuck in the back of a cupboard, relegated to collecting dust.  But I really wanted ice cream, and I really wanted it to be homemade.  So I dug out the attachment and whipped up a batch.


I decided to modify Emeril Lagasse's recipe for "old time vanilla ice cream" because it didn't involve using eggs, which is a plus on a 90 degree day.

As far as the ice cream maker goes, whatever type you have will work.  Just make sure you follow the manufacturer's instructions for the machine you have.

Cherry Chip Ice Cream
Ingredients
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cherry extract
  • 1 package dark chocolate chips (I used Nestle)

Method

In a large mixing bowl (preferably one with a pouring spout), combine the heavy cream and whole milk.  Add the flavor extracts.


Next, add the sugar and salt and whisk it together until the sugar completely dissolves.  It will get rather frothy.



Make sure the ice cream batter is completely chilled before churning.  When you're ready, follow the manufacturers instructions for your ice cream maker to churn the ice cream.  For my mixer attachment, I had to turn the mixer on, starting the churning paddle, and then carefully pour in the batter.  I let it churn for about 15 minutes before adding the chocolate chips.  Then I let it churn for about another 10 minutes or so.





Some ice cream makers allow you to freeze the ice cream right in them, but often you will need to transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and freeze.  Which is what did.


I let my ice cream freeze for a couple days before serving it.  It's not super sweet, but very light and refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment