Sunday, November 24, 2013

Spinach & Broccoli Quiche with Pepper Jack Cheese

Normally I'm not a huge fan of quiche. I'm not a huge fan of eggs to begin with, and most quiches taste like eggs. So I was pleasantly surprised upon trying my friend Andrea's recipe, which is a bit of a "whatever veggies you happen to have in the fridge" sort, how much I liked her version of this breakfast dish.



My attempt didn't taste quite the same as hers, and I think it may have been due to the cheese (hers was a lot spicier than what I procured).

Anyway, it's really easy, and here's how you do it. Remember, you can really put any veggies in that you like - red peppers would be another great addition, you could use kale instead of spinach, maybe kick the whole thing up with a few dashes of Tabasco.


Spinach & Broccoli Quiche with Pepper Jack Cheese
Ingredients

  • 4 strips bacon
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2-3 cups baby spinach
  • 1 large head broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup grated pepper jack cheese, plus slices to cover
  • 1/2 cup sour cream, plain yogurt, or heavy cream
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • pie crust
Method

Fry bacon until crisp, then drain on paper towels and set aside. Retain the bacon grease in the skillet.




While the bacon is cooking, line a pie pan with a pastry crust. I made my own, but it's just as easy and good to use a pre-made crust.



Saute the onion and garlic in the bacon grease until golden and tender. Add the broccoli and saute until almost crisp tender, then add the spinach and cook, stirring everything, just until wilted.







In a large bowl, beat eggs, then mix in the sour cream and grated cheese.




Crumble the bacon into the egg mixture, then add the veggies and stir to combine.



(I know that last picture doesn't look particularly appetizing, but just go with me here.)

Add salt and pepper to taste, then pour into your prepared pie shell.  Cover the top with more shredded cheese and slices of pepper jack.



Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.


Cut some slices and serve while piping hot!


No comments:

Post a Comment